At the moment we are simply a group of volunteers trying to develop what we hope will become a platform that can contribute to increased sustainability and well-being on the planet.
Koios is a not-for-profit endeavor. We hope to evolve a non-profit organization similar to that of the Wikimedia foundation or become part of such an organization.
Our vision is a world where anyone can participate in solving humanities difficult social challenges.
Our mission is to develop a free open web based service for systemic innovation that enables people on a massive scale to collaborate on solving social challenges.
We recognize you don't really solve complex social challenges/issues/problems. You just make the situation better or worse (depending on what point of view you look from and what metrics you use evaluate the situation). By making variables/indicators go below an acceptable agreed upon level we can say that a problem is solved. The notion of A problem is also difficult as all problems are interrelated and part of the world problematique.
- Develop a tool that can provide value to both experts and non-experts.
- Develop a tool that can scale globally to allow large numbers of users to simultaneously collaborate.
- Develop a tool that can be used to solve problems repeatedly, reliably and predictably.
Koios has been funded by the Norwegian Ministry of Local Government and Modernisation through the one time Nettskap2.0 program.
Please contact us if you would like to fund, sponsor or in any other way support this project.
“ Boosting mankind's capability for coping with complex, urgent problems. ”
- Doug Engelbart
We are to a high degree inspired by the work of Douglas Engelbart the inventor, and Internet pioneer.
We are driven by the idea of a better, more fair and just world for all. We see the strengthening of democracy and empowerement of the people as a way to achive this.
For more on what motivates us read our page on Why Koios is needed.
The ideas for Koios came in 2006. Read about the inception, history and timeline.
Other things we hope to achieve with this project
- Inspire global collective wisdom.
- Evolve the fields of Web and Internet Science, Collective Intelligence, Collecive Wisdom and Web 3.0.
- Contribute to new knowledge within topics such as network neutrality, crowdsourcing, citizen involvement, behavioural and societal change.
- Support informed social change, innovation and entrepreneurship.
- Increase democracy through awareness and engagement.
- Stimulate diversity in science and induce new fields of research.
- Increase visibility around Open Access scientific publishing (e.g. Budapest Open Access Initiative).
- Complement the work of professional researchers.
- Stimulate reflection, critical thinking and learning in society.
Join the team!